CA -CA, MBA -Finance
8 - 12 Yrs
25 - 30
Accounting,Analysis Financial,Strategic Financial Planning
The aim of Shell Business Operations Chennai is to provide the Group with operational excellence through highlighting and utilizing process improvements and functional efficiencies as well as by leveraging economies of scale. Currently, the Chennai centre provides a wide range of finance, accounting and business services to Shell operating companies across several business sectors globally.
Set up in September 2007, the Chennai centre has grown rapidly and now , in its fourth year of operations , it has crossed the 1600 staff mark. The centre is located in the RMZ Millennia Business Park, where the Shell campus is a LEED Platinum building with world class infrastructure. The business is expected to grow further over the next two years and infrastructural additions to support this have been planned.
The main focus in Chennai is on Finance Operations which supports delivery of the global Finance functional plan. There is also a ‘Downstream India’ - Customer Services Team that handles lubricant depot ordering within the country. The Shell Business Operations (SBO Team) manages the centre facilities and supports business partners’ operations on site. There is a strong focus at SBO on safety & well being of staff and on its three core values: Compliance, Intervention & Respect.
The role requires a strong focus on driving performance improvements and delivering direct value to the leadership teams. The candidate must have the ability to manage change effectively and be able to deal with the business complexities within a global operating model. People who have strong analytical skills, who value teamwork and who are comfortable in dealing with senior stakeholders will thrive in this environment.
* Lead, support and guide the Team members in achievement of all functional responsibilities and drive their development within Shell
* Manage staff performance and development, self and through team managers
* Actively engage staff in discussions relating to CI, HSSE, Operational Excellence as well as staff welfare
* Effective networking in the R&A team (and wider) to learn from others and to attract the best talent to the team
* Coaching and mentoring of the team members to further develop curiosity, communication and content skills to the appropriate professional level to be a valued business partner at all levels
* Demonstrate and role-model the 5 behavioral imperatives to the staff and lead them to get the same from them and ensure basic behavioral aspects are embedded in the team, such as taking accountability, effective stakeholder engagement, priority setting, commitment management
* Build a culture and environment that work of the team(s) is reviewed against the highest standards of accuracy and efficiency and maximizes impact
Business Plan & Strategy
- Supports Planning/Budgeting process and drafting the Operating Plan
- Ensure Accurate Latest Estimates are developed and reported
- Drives and coordinates the Planning/Budgeting interfaces
- Support to the Leadership Teams and co-ordinate for business requirements
- Ensure Finance Discipline is maintained
Finance in the Business & Management Information
- Provide support to the Financial and Business assurance process
- Support the business in developing project planning, Asset support in line with respective line of business/ Technical Directorate
- Interpreting and deliver the financial information, provide challenge & analytical support to the leadership team
- Provide business insights on overhead spend, cost recovery, resource utilization and drive efficiency improvement initiatives
- Assist the organization to operate efficiently and effectively within the financial controls environment
CA/CMA/CPA and/or MBA (from Tier 1/2 institution) & 7+ years of relevant experience in FP&A, Business Finance, Planning & Appraisal, Budgeting/forecasting, Variance analysis...
This position is ideally suited for people with strong Leadership skills with robust analytical background who would like to influence decision making and the performance management agenda in Shell.
Leadership & Technical Skills
Should be self-motivated, self-starting, and able to build and lead an effective and strong relationship with his stakeholders and manage/integrate with others in different functions and in a multicultural and diverse business environment.
Demonstrated Enterprise First mindset with related values and behaviours.
Individual should be proactive, a creative and pragmatic thinker, looking beyond the scope of requests being made.
Highly developed analytical skills with perceptive and clear strategic abilities. Ability to communicate effectively at all levels including senior stakeholders.
Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated experience in coaching and training. Proven ability to motivate others and develop strong relationships with staff at all levels.
Experienced in working in a virtual environment and building/managing virtual teams.
Experienced Finance professional (management accounting skills experience) with proven track record
Ability to lead teams with multiple layers and proven people / team development skills
Financial analysis with Project reporting experience is essential
Capable to drive business performance management and provide business insights
Previous experience of engaging with senior stakeholders
High competency in Excel, strong analytical & numerical skills required.
- Understand business drivers to ensure high quality decision support
- Be a real Business partner and work closely with In-Country Finance team
- Ensure you understand and own the Projects & Engineering and Development content and drive it also your self
- Ensure the team becomes more predictive (timing) and increases quality of bread and butter / recurring deliverables
- Execute Strategic Intent together with In-Country Business Finance Manager Projects
- Improve Business Planning process & quality (from data gathering to value added analysis and intervention)
- Ensure early detection of deviations from Project plans and budgets
- Improve the quality of and apply ESSA to Management Information
- Influence various parties without formal authority
- Improve business relationships
- Balance challenge and support role
- Working in virtual teams with different time zones / cultures
- LEAN/Six Sigma qualification is an advantage or at least willing to become qualified
Ability to operate effectively in a matrix structure in which team members have formal reporting lines into R&A with deep functional connections into P&T Finance/ Business Finance Managers/ P&A Managers
Besides ad hoc requests, the team should deliver peak performance during the Operating Plan/ Latest Estimate cycles of the year. During these peaks, additional team efforts are required. There will be often demands for quality and in-depth analysis at short notice. This requires the ability to work under pressure and deliver to tight deadlines. To be successful in the group one should be an excellent team player.
Successful candidate must be able to:
- Build an effective team working to deliver a shared vision, supporting each other to attain the highest standard of quality and working in a transparent atmosphere of continuous improvement spanning different regions and areas
- Build effective partnerships with business and finance stakeholders
- Have a natural commercial curiosity and be experienced in business partnering