0 - 5 Yrs
System Development Engineer-Intern
The AWS Global IT Engineering Team's mission is to build and deploy highly available IT services that improve productivity for Amazonians worldwide. We are looking for experienced Systems Development Engineer with a strong background in infrastructure operations, systems administration, networking, and interest in developing automation. If you have a passion for creating efficiency and consistency by automating manual systems administration tasks and a passion for Development Operations (DevOps) principles, then keep reading.
In this role, you will be part of a group of Systems and Network Engineers operating and developing services globally across many physical sites, countries, and industries. You will be responsible for operating and developing automation, tooling, and management solutions that increase security, efficiency, and consistency across one of the largest enterprise environments in the world. You will have to adhere to team and organization operations, development, security, deployment, and data standards for existing and future solutions.
We are looking for Support Engineers to be based in Seattle, United States:
· Work closely with internal customers to alleviate their immediate problems.
· Continuously collaborating with teams and vendors around the globe, identifying opportunities to automate away manual processes.
· Participate in major engineering projects end-to-end with globally dispersed cross-functional stakeholders.
· Lead small engineering projects end-to-end with oversight from senior team members.
· Design and develop new technical solutions for deployment across multiple global regions that improve our ability to operate and manage our services.
· Design, develop, and deploy release testing and deployment pipelines, enabling Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) following DevOps principles.
· Influence and enforce Operational Excellence standards that ensure our team’s solutions and existing services are robust, scalable, secure, compliant, and adaptable.
· Research and instruct others on emerging technologies and AWS products.
· Support services 24/7 as part an on-call rotation.
· International travel up to 10%.
Amazon has a fast-paced environment where we “Work Hard, Have Fun, Make History.” On a “typical” day, Systems Development Engineers will both triage and deep dive customer issues to determine root cause, drive the design and development of new solutions, consult top engineering regarding problems and radical new approaches, and track metrics to ensure our services and solutions are operating as expected.
Basic Qualifications :
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related engineering discipline with 1+ years of work experience.
• Systems Engineering/Administration experience with large and distributed systems
• Experience deploying and administrating Windows and Linux based platforms within a large scale production environment.
• Experience with network and infrastructure operations.
• Experiencing automating frequent operating system and service tasks using command languages such as bash or PowerShell scripting.
• Experience developing automation for deploying and managing services and their underlying infrastructure via contemporary programming/scripting languages, configuration management tools, and APIs.
• Experience with system and application monitoring, software distribution, patching and maintenance • Proficient in verbal and written communication, and technical documentation (English required, local dialects a plus).
• Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
• Methodical and robust troubleshooting and analysis skills.
• Strong sense of ownership.
Preferred Qualifications :
• Advanced degree in Computer Science or related engineering discipline.
• Experience developing web-applications on contemporary technology stacks.
• Experience managing and developing services on Amazon Web Services using EC2, S3, SQS, Lambda, SNS, RDS, DynamoDB, ECS, API Gateway, etc. or comparable products from another cloud platform.
• Active AWS certifications (AWS Associate Solutions Architect, AWS Associate Developer, AWS Associate Systems Operations).
• Experience with imperative and/or declarative configuration management and deployment tools (Cloudformation, Ansible, Puppet, Chef, Terraform, etc.).
• Experience with AWS CI/CD products such as CodeDeploy, CodePipeline, CodeBuild, CodeCommit or comparable solutions such as Jenkins, Github, Tekton, etc.
• Experience with distributed systems.
• Experience in designing and managing a 24x7 production environment with mission critical services.
• Experience with mission critical systems.
• Ability to track the health of our services, identify and fix problems on complex systems with massive scale. Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity