This free online course Diploma in Communication Skills will help you to understand the art of communication, perception, group dynamics, and persuasion. The course will look at the impact which these soft skills can have upon your daily life if used effectively.
First, you will be introduced to the basics of communication. Concepts such as communication channels, interpretation, and barriers will be explained to you. You will also explore the basics of body language and the context’s which affects your communications.
You will also examine the important aspects of the conversation. Listening is an important skill, and you will be walked through effective listening. You will also be shown techniques to help improve your listening ability and concentration. Speaking is also a vital part of the conversation and the course will show you how to speak considerately and politely. The importance of silence within the conversation is discussed, as is the importance of culture, context, and body language.
You will be introduced to the basics of perception. Concepts such as visual culture and perception will be explored. You will also explore the basics of aural perception, and the impact which it can have upon your communicative relationships.
You will also examine the important aspects of nonverbal communications. Nonverbal communication is an important skill, and you will be walked through its importance to communication. You will look at the ways in which the body communicates, including concepts such as space and gestures. Facial expressions are also a vital part of nonverbal communication and the course will show you how to interpret facial expressions effectively.
You will be introduced to the basics of building and maintaining relationships. Theories surrounding group dynamics will be examined in detail, including group structures and different types of group. You will also look at the different factors which can affect groups.
You will also examine the important aspects of conflicts, including conflicts within groups. You will look at verbal and nonverbal communication strategies, as well as be looking at conflict-handling styles. Networking is a vital part of today’s society, and this course will walk you through networking in relation to social media.
You will be introduced to the basics of persuasion. Theories surrounding the art of persuasion will be examined in detail including manipulation, brainwashing, and Stockholm syndrome. You will also look at the role which persuasion plays in negotiation and the difference between the two.
You will also examine the importance of motivating both oneself and others. You will look at the importance of motivation to leadership, and the motivation techniques which team leaders can utilize.
This course will be of interest to professionals who are required to communicate as part of their job, either to customers or colleagues. It will also be of interest to anyone who is hoping to enhance their daily lives through improving their soft skills.
Duration: 10 - 15 hours
Module 1 – Understanding the Communicative Environment
Module 2 – Listening and speaking
Module 3 – Visual and Aural Perception
Module 4 – Nonverbal Communication
Module 5 – Diploma in Communication Skills – First Assessment
Module 6 – Group Dynamics
Module 7 – Conflicts and Networking
Module 8 – Introduction to Persuasion
Module 9 – Introduction to Motivation
Module 10 – Diploma in Communication Skills – Second Assessment
Module 11 - Diploma in Communication Skills – Final Assessment
Having completed this course you will be able to:
1. Discuss the difference between soft skills and hard skills
2. Explain the effect which new technologies have had upon communication.
3. Differentiate between verbal and nonverbal communication.
4. Discuss the importance of culture and context to communication.
5. Discuss the importance of listening
6. Discuss the barriers to listening
7. Discuss how gender can affect the way we speak
8. Differentiate between symmetrical and asymmetrical.
9. Explain the importance of voice.
10. Explain the importance of body language in communication
11. Discuss the importance of silence
12.Explain how the way we view things affects our perception.
13.Discuss what is meant by perception.
14.Explain what is meant by attention.
15. Discuss different types of visual perception.
16. Discuss the relation between sound perception and visual perception.
17. Discuss the research that has been done into communication components.
18. Explain nonverbal communication in relation to emotion.
19. Discuss how space is used in nonverbal communication.
20. Discuss the importance of facial expressions to communication.
21. Explain the importance of relationships.
22. Discuss the different stages of a relationship.
23. Explain what is meant by group dynamics.
24. Define the different types of groups which can occur.
25. Explain conflict in relation to groups.
26. Explain different conflict-handling styles.
27. Explain why networking is important.
28. Discuss the interaction between networking and social media.
29. Explain the relationship between motivation and achieving goals.
30. Discuss the theories surrounding motivation.
31. Explain ways to help increase an individual’s motivation.
32. Explain the different factors which influence persuasion.
33. Discuss the difference between persuasion and manipulation.
34. Discuss factors influencing attitudes.
35. Explain what is meant by negotiation.
36. Discuss the process of negotiation.
37. Explain how a person can be a good leader.
38. Discuss the relationship between leadership and motivation.